BSBI Distribution Database > message board

Excel?

Excel?

by geoff toone » Mon May 27, 2019 2:59 pm

Has anyone else found this?

I have some quite ordinary record sets, dating back as far as 2011, which have not yet reached the DDb. Is it a coincidence that these are all, save one, those of VCRs who accept records only in editable spreadsheet format rather than 'read only', as a database transfer?

If these records are not being held back whilst checks are made in the field, nor have they been clandestinely rejected, should one assume them lost, superfluous or part of an overpowering workload yet awaiting consideration?

Greater control over records?

GT
geoff toone

name: Geoff Toone

Re: Excel?

by admin » Mon May 27, 2019 10:35 pm

Hi Geoff,

As you noted, there are several ways that data sets can go missing or be overlooked - data flow often doesn't work as smoothly or rapidly as everyone involved would hope.

There isn't a large central backlog of data waiting to be imported to the DDb (some data are waiting, but probably not sets that would account for your missing records).

In the first instance it's usually best to ask the individual county recorders about missing records. If it turns out that data has gone missing at the stage between the VCR and the DDb (e.g. due to failed MapMap synchronisations) then I may be able to help.

If there are specific problems that you'd like me to investigate then please let me know by email (tom.humphrey@bsbi.org).

best wishes,

Tom
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

Re: Excel?

by geoff toone » Tue May 28, 2019 11:06 am

Thanks Tom,

I would rather be generic than specific. I'm just curious about any possible underlying costs of requiring editing rights. I was hoping to crowd-source an answer.

BW's
Geoff
geoff toone

name: Geoff Toone

Return to News