BSBI Distribution Database > message board

Include Reference in downloads

Please report any problems with the website. Suggestions for changes are also very welcome.

Include Reference in downloads

by AndyAmphlett » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:35 am

Tom,

Downloads of records included the dataset name. Would it be possible to add an additional column giving the Reference (where available)? Or add it as a download option? This would be useful as, for example, records entered in my copy of MapMate have the dataset name "MapMateCentre:2dd", but they are assigned to 168 different 'References' many (though not all) of which add useful info to a downloaded record, using references such as:

"VC96 Record cards (held by VCR)" or,
"Carex chordorrhiza (String Sedge) Survey - Insh Marshes RSPB Reserve 29th August - 2nd September, 2016. (A repeat survey using same methodology as Legg, C. J., Cowie, N. R. & Hamilton, A., 1995)".

Thanks,

Andy.
AndyAmphlett

name: Andy Amphlett

Re: Include Reference in downloads

by admin » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:30 am

Hi Andy,

I agree with you that including references in downloads would be useful. I've tried to do that in the past, but database issues have made it quite problematic. The way references are stored involves many joined tables and the overhead involved lead to unacceptably slow queries.

The solution would be to cache a de-normalised copy of the references in a single table that could be linked efficiently. I think that would be a straightforward solution and may not be difficult to implement. The minor drawback is that the references available for downloaded results would not always be absolutely up-to-date. Once I have time I'll try to put this together.
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

Re: Include Reference in downloads

by AndyAmphlett » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:57 pm

Thanks Tom,

A.
AndyAmphlett

name: Andy Amphlett

Return to Bugs and suggestions